Friday, March 16, 2007

Time for a New Look

I was getting tired of how my blog looked, so I decided to change it. I love the color blue and I consider it my favorite color, but the site was looking kind of dark. I like the new lighter green color. I was probably influenced by the green I was seeing at Jon Hall's site and Just Some English Guy's site (see link on the right).

I use Blogger for this site for a couple of reasons. One reason, and the most important, its FREE. Two, it is easy to use. I work in the IT field, but I have never been a web/html guy. I'm not very good at it and have never put the time into learning it. Due to the lack of my web coding experience, I use the default templates provided by Blogger. This template is called 'no. 565' hence the number 565 on the page. In my opinion, Blogger has a paltry selection of templates and the templates they do have aren't very customizable. Recently Blogger made changes to its service so one could do small bits of customization, but I think they didn't go far enough. If anyone out there can help me spruce up my site, I would be most grateful. Until then, enjoy 'no. 565.'

**Edit** OK, I was able to remove the 565 numbers from the page and added my own pic. I still can't figure out how to lower the text of the title and make the picture fit better. I'll keep trying....

2 comments:

Doah said...

Hey man, at least you can get your own photo on your site, that's more than I can say for Doah's Ramblings! Tony, I am so sorry to hear about the crazy week you have had with your parents' health and all. That must be very difficult with them in California. My heart goes out to you. --Doah

James said...

You might need to brush up on a bit of CSS and XML, Tony. But in short, the setting you're looking for is in the section of your template code that looks like this:

[[#blog-title {
background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/no565/bg_header.gif") no-repeat left top;
margin:0;
padding:40px 0 0;
font:bold 275%/97px Helvetica,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif;
text-transform:lowercase;
}]]

Try playing around with the '%' and 'px' values after the 'font:' tag, and see what they do. They should allow for some repositioning or resizing of the title font.